Make the world a better place with a clinical social work degree.
Do you have a passion for helping others? Do you want to make a difference in your community? Do you want to make a difference in your career? Clinical social workers enhance and maintain the physical, psychological and spiritual well-being of individuals, families, and groups within their communities. Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSWs) also provide much-needed mental health care services aimed at preventing and treating a wide range of mental and behavioral disorders in people from all social, financial, and ethnic classes. In short, the goal of clinical social work is to improve the quality of life of those in need.
Earn the advanced credentials required to practice clinical social work and be a force for good in your community. The online clinical Master of Social Work (MSW) from The Catholic University of America’s National Catholic School of Social Service (NCSSS) prepares you to obtain your license in clinical social work practice. The social work sector is expected to grow by 19 percent through 2022, with a major emphasis being placed on hiring LCSWs. Catholic University’s online learning format allows you to prepare for the clinical social work licensing exam whenever and wherever it is most convenient for you.
Building on its strength as the leading clinical social work program in the Nation’s Capital and one of the top ranked social work programs in the country, the online MSW degree exposes students to a demanding curriculum that puts theory into action. CUA’s online MSW program is also accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, the sole accrediting agency for social work education in America. The comprehensive clinical social work coursework will prepare you for a successful career in a wide variety of fields, including:
- Medical/Public Health
- Mental Health
- Substance Abuse
- Elderly Care
- Child Welfare
- K-12 Social Work
Answer the Call to Social Justice
Although an undergraduate degree in social work is not required to apply, a true desire to serve all people is necessary when considering our MSW program. The mission of the online MSW degree program is to:
“…improve the human condition, to make life better, longer and healthier for the clients we serve.” – Dr. Will C. Rainford, Dean, NCSSS
If you share our mission, join the diverse group of men and women already enrolled in Catholic University’s online clinical MSM who, like us, are committed to excellence in service and to the progression of the fields of social work.
Our clinical MSW concentration prepares you for a wide range of professional roles including:
- Mental health counseling/therapy
- Clinical work with at-risk families
- Clinical case management with homeless individuals
- Trauma treatment
- School social work
- Play therapy with children
- Community-based work with the elderly
Learn from Clinical MSW Curriculum
Help individuals and communities around the world live a better life. The rigorous curriculum of our online MSW program includes all aspects of clinical practice with individuals, families, couples, and groups. Dimensions of assessment and diagnoses are thoroughly addressed across the life span.
- Diversity in a Multicultural Society (3 credits)
- Human Behavior and the Social Environment I (3 credits)
- Human Development and Psychopathology (3 credits)
- Social Welfare Policy and Services I (3 credits)
- Social Welfare Policy and Services II (3 credits)
- Social Work Research Methods (3 credits)
- Generalist Practice with Individuals, Families and Groups (3 credits)
- Generalist Practice with Groups, Communities & Organizations (3 credits)
- Foundation Field Education and Seminar I & II (3 credits ea.)
Advanced Curriculum – Clinical Concentration:
- Clinical Social Work with Adults
- Clinical Social Work with Children and Adolescents
- Clinical Social Work with Families: Strengths-based Model
- Cognitive Behavioral Theory and Social Functioning
- Psychodynamic Theory and Social Functioning
- Assessment, Diagnosis and Treatment of Mental Illnesses
- Evaluation of Social Work Practice
- Ethical Issues in Contemporary Social Work
- Clinical Field Instruction and Integrative Seminar I & II
Prepare For Your Clinical Social Work License
Throughout your tenure, you’ll get extensive preparation in the understanding and application of theory in evidence-based practice. Best of all, you’ll have the opportunity to decide where you do your field placement. Tell us where you want to be placed, and our faculty will work with you to make it happen (if your selection meets program standards). The Field Education Office can help you identify social service providers in your area that are interested in providing an MSW internship for your social work field experience.
Catholic University’s online MSW program prepares students to sit for the Licensed Graduate Social Work Exam. Passing this exam is the first step toward clinical licensure as an independent practitioner. Impressively, 95% of our students pass the LGSW exam on their first attempt, which is a testament to the quality of our clinical social work curriculum and the outstanding faculty that teaches it. Its figures like this that explain why the National Catholic School of Social Service at Catholic University is ranked #52 among graduate social work schools by U.S. News and World Report.
Online Learning with a Student-Centered Faculty
The online MSW offers a small, intimate learning environment, as students are given the opportunity to develop a professional working relationship with our faculty. The faculty acts as mentors enabling students to become part of a valuable professional network that students can tap into for years to come.
The online MSW program includes the same features that make the on-campus program unique:
- Small class sizes – classes are typically capped at 25 students
- A hands-on, responsive faculty
- Student input in identifying field placements
- Emphasis on the understanding and application of theory in evidence-based practices
We welcome all students, regardless of religious or cultural background, to discover how to put theory into action. To learn more about our online MSW, click here or call 855-295-5711 today.